Friday, September 14, 2012

B is for Brooklyn; A Fashionable Borough

with my sister, Karen
my sister,  husband Sean Qualls and mom make a toast
with Marcos Chin, who's work is also on exhibit at the BPL
with Taeeun Yoo, Lauren Castillo and Jeanine Henderson
speech time


with friends, family and my agent Rebecca Sherman (aka 'the Sherminator')

with BPL staffers
As I said in my speech on the opening night of my exhibit, B is for Brooklyn; A Fashionable Borough, it is a huge honor for me to be exhibiting work from my children's books at the Brooklyn Public Library.  It's the perfect venue for me to have a retrospective show, not only because of my close relationship with the Library over the years, but also in light of the release of my most recent picture book, B is for Brooklyn (an alphabet book about my beloved borough, including, appropriately, 'L is for Library'!).

The opening was awesome.  I was touched that my mother and sister flew here from my birthplace, Vancouver, Canada, to attend the festivities.  It was wonderful being surrounded by so many of my friends and colleagues, as well as my beloved husband, Sean Qualls, all of whom have helped me in my journey to becoming an author/illustrator.  After a few glasses of wine, in a rare unscripted moment, I referred to my agent, Rebecca Sherman, affectionately as 'The Sherminator'.

I dedicated the exhibit to my late father, Henri Alko, who was responsible for teaching me how to paint and exposing me to beautiful things at an early age.  I think I actually felt his spirit at the opening night beaming with pride.  

Hope you get a chance to see the exhibition.  It is in the Youth Wing of the Grand Army Plaza branch of the Brooklyn Public Library through December 1, 2012.

3 comments:

Karen Bichin said...

Great photos! I'm so happy I was there for your incredible show and FUN opening! Love you, K

Karen Bichin said...

Fantastic photos! I'm so happy that I was there to see your beautiful show and attend the FUN opening! Love you, K

Lauren Castillo said...

It was a great opening night, and so fun to meet your family :) Congrats again on a beautiful show, friend! xo